Thursday, January 14, 2010

Course Expectations

My expectations for this class are, number one, gain some knowledge about the world of technology in which I have slipped a little behind on. Now that I have been to class twice, I've been having a pretty good time, so I'm hoping not to get overwhelmed with the assignments to the point of them driving the fun right out of the course and me to the infirmary. I guess I am feeling in over my head with all my classes this semester and not confident with finding the time to do the "busy work" for all of them. I'm really not accustom to doing lots of assignments and projects and things along those lines. Most of all, I am looking forward to experiencing a class that is not the same old lecture and regurgitation in order to get a better idea of how i could do things different in a classroom as a teacher myself.


I know every student learns in various ways, whether it is auditory, visual, repetition, spatial, etc. The key is gaining as many tools in our arsenal to assess and then adjust our teaching styles and assignments to each student and the class as a whole. This way every student may actually learn at least the basic knowledge required for our classrooms. I'm hoping this class by the example of Chris and through the curriculum will add to that tool box.


My expectations for my classmates are simply to be kind and courtesy and help each other out whenever we can. I expect to do well and get an "A" in the class so I expect everyone else to do so as well. I know grades are not the main point of school; it's to actually be able to remember and apply what we've learned. However, living in the sobering collegiate world of today, G.P.A.'s can be very important for post graduate work and many other reasons. Such as any future plans I have, so we are all getting "A's". Sad but true, especially when the grades don't even tell you which students actually learned and which simply memorized the material! But if an "old" man like me can earn an "A", then I expect you guys too as well! Just being sarcastic, but just live up to my expectations or else! Seriously, I know we all won't see eye to eye or be best buddies, but if we all are nice, courteous and help each other there is no reason we all can't do extremely well. Don't forget, open notes, computer, collaboration. Oh, one last thing that is a pet peeve of mine. Helping each other and working together goes both ways!


Expectations for Chris have changed a little now that we are kind of getting to know him. First, and foremost, he must keep being witty because we meet fairly early and have a long class. Next, I hope he babies us along as much as he can stomach during this course, ironic since I am a 36 year father of 2. Being a novice with Education classes, not knowing some of the technology along with all the things to keep up with, I would really appreciate being walked through this class step by little step. I think our instructor has a great handle on the way students learn, technology and how we can be good teachers. So for me, the biggest thing is to have Chris drive some of that knowledge and philosophy into our heads. It’s is a scary thing if you really think about the fact that as a teacher you do have “real” human beings lives at stake! So when I walk into a classroom to teach I want to be as prepared as I can be.


The whole "lives at stake" dawned on me when I volunteered at Buchholz High School in a 10th grade Biology class and actually got to know the kids along with some of the good, the bad and the ugly of teaching. Oh, almost forgot, Chris must make some coffee as he promised! Just kidding, but to be fair, maybe those of us who want some in the morning can take turns making it. This way it stays in the realm of a teaching philosophy where we as students participate in our education. But in all seriousness, I expect and have already seen that Chris will be more than fair and accommodating to us all. Teaching in a new style that we all may not be used to but may need to emulate in the near future. I just want our instructor to actually do his best for him and for us.


No real questions about teaching and learning so far. I’m hoping we will all have a lot of questions on the material during this course to get the most out of it and Chris. However, as they do come up I will be more than happy to share them with the class.


I hope I am doing this right? I'm kind of treating like a blog-ish slash formal and informal-ish assignment. It's a total hybrid? I don't know but best of luck to you all this semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment